Friday, December 12, 2008

Spectacles/Shoe Analogy

"Putting on a different pair of spectacles"
"Walking in the shoes of another."

These two quotes close to the same thing. Both tell the reader to look at things from a different point of view. I believe all literary critics must do this in order to have a complete and unbiased understanding of literature and any other topics out there. My parents raised my with this concept in mind and I guess that is why I am a reader response critic; no one person's interpretation of the text is correct. The correct interpretation of the text is unique to however is reading. The fact that putting on different pairs of spectacles actually physically changes how you view a certain subject really gives you a good idea of what it takes to read a text in a unbaised and unjudged fashion. Even though I don't wear glasses, I do change pairs of spectacles everyday.

No comments: